Universal Credit (UC) was introduced by the Government as a new welfare benefit to replace several existing benefits including Housing Benefit, combining them into one single monthly payment.

UC applies to people who are both in and out of work, and of working age.

As the charitable arm of Torus, Torus Foundation is helping to provide support to those who could be affected by the changes.

Although you might not be affected at the moment, any change in circumstances could affect you in the future i.e. having a child, moving in with your partner, moving to a new address and more many more which could have an impact.

If you are required to make a claim, you will need access to the internet as claims must be made online.

Here’s how Torus Foundation can help you through the process:

  • Free IT training and access to the internet, including setting up an email address, which is required to make on online claim for UC
  • Advice on setting up a bank, building society or credit union account, which is required to make an online claim for UC
  • Employment and training support
  • Signpost to services for budgeting, debt, energy & utility debt and benefit advice
  • Food bank vouchers

Speak to someone

  • Universal Credit – Call the Universal Credit Helpline on 0800 328 5644 which is available Monday – Friday between 8am – 6pm.
  • Your Housing Association – If the UC changes result in difficulty paying your rent, make sure you speak to your landlord as soon as possible. If you’re with Torus, contact 0800 678 1894.
  • Torus Foundation – If you’d like more information about how our projects could support you, your family and your community, contact the team using the details below:


To find out more about the Torus Foundation or to get involved in what we do, please get in touch.

Call 0300 123 5809 or send us an enquiry here: